Traffic shaping.

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Tue Jan 10 14:17:51 EST 2017

On 01/10/2017 01:51 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> On 2017-01-10 13:47, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
>> On 01/10/2017 01:28 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>>> Hey, all.  I've got an OpenVPN network talking to a server at a remote
>>> site over the corporate WAN.  (Reasons for this are complex, and I won't
>>> bore you with them, but please trust me that this setup was required
>>> "because IT.")  Anyway, I'd like to throttle the bandwidth going both
>>> ways.  Unfortunately, OpenVPN only throttles on the client side going
>>> one way, and not at all on the server side.
>>
>> Are you actually setting the OpenVPN shaper option on both the client
>> *and the server*, or only on the client?
>
> Apparently, irrelevant: it does not work on server:
>
> https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/413

Well, that's the other thing that actually wasn't clear:
whether "an OpenVPN network" meant a multitude of OpenVPN clients
all connecting individually to a single server (N:1),
or a network that's being routed (or bridged) through a single
OpenVPN tunnel between local+remote OpenVPN nodes (1:1).

If you need the N:1 case to work, I'll have to defer to
someone else who's actually familiar with QoS management. :\