Linux for time lapse and wifi?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jun 28 17:08:26 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> On 2017-06-28 10:31, Richard Kolb II wrote:
>
> > I'm also thinking about using it as a wifi access point, the location
> > that it'll be installed, a remote house in Maine, will have a dsl
> > connection, but right now I don't have a wireless router, and since I
> > have this handy I thought I'd take advantage.
>
> I set up my RasPi 3 as a WAP, and I have to say, it just didn't work
> that well -- egregiously slow, and low power to boot.  I guess the
> system is underpowered for the task, based on the reading I did.  I'd
> have to recommend using a stock WAP to make that happen -- bet you could
> find one for $15 on Craigslist or something.

People bought lots of the Linksys routers back in the day.  They should be
out there.

I find myself avoiding wireless as much as possible.  If I can run a wire
to the Roku, security cam, raspberry pi doing what it does, the sprinkler
controller, the printer, I will.  No bandwidth contention,  no outdated
security, no dead spots.  I need to run power to the device anyways.

Some people might not be able to run network cables everywhere of course
and some devices (tablets) can't be wired.