Avahi/mdns resolution.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon Mar 27 10:17:01 EDT 2017

Hi, all.  For service discovery on a cloud subnet, I'm trying to get the
different VM's to resolve each other -- by strong preference, seamlessly
-- via Avahi.  And it works... kinda:

root at clients-1:~# avahi-resolve -n -4 kentest.local
kentest.local	192.168.243.16   # This is a good thing

These, not so much good:
root at clients-1:~# ping kentest.local
ping: unknown host kentest.local
root at clients-1:~# host kentest.local
Host kentest.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Here's my pertinent nsswitch line:
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

Since the daemon is clearly replying with correct info, I assume I'm
doing something wrong client-side (though as I've never done this
before, I guess it could still be a server-side issue).  Any hints or
ideas?

Thanks,

-Ken