Suggestions: Job boards, listings, contacts? for Senior Technical Writer

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Tue Sep 19 18:08:27 EDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM, David Rysdam <david at rysdam.org> wrote:

> Alan Johnson <alan at datdec.com> writes:
> > Back when I worked for one of the top recruiting companies, the industry
> > experts there said indeed.com ...[was] the top resume
> > posting services.
>
> If this was ever true, it is certainly not now. I was the recipient of
> some resumes from Indeed.com and they were not just bad, they were
> ridiculous. Like, nursing student resumes.

IIRC, and my info is several years old at best, Indeed.com does not quite
work like that.  They are an aggregator that posts your resume on other job
boards and maintain their own internal database as well.  If you were
getting lame resumes from Indeed.com, I would expect the problem was with
whoever was using the tool and sending them to you rather than the tool
itself.  Most of these tools take some specialized skills on the recruiting
side to get the search terms right but even then you run the risk of
nursing students listing IT skills that could create some strange results.
A clueful recruiter should filter those out before sending them along.

Simply Hired does (did?) pretty much the same thing.  Startwire is
something a bit different but still in the category that focuses on the
helping job seekers find jobs rather than helping recruiters find
candidates, but the 2 concepts are tightly coupled.

Again, I could be completely mixed up on this and my info is aged.

--
Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com
Date Format PSA <http://xkcd.com/1179/>