Is Amazon AWS/EBS snapshotting just LVM, or what?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Sep 28 14:32:31 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at hackerposse.com
> wrote:

> On 09/28/2017 01:46 PM, Tom Buskey wrote:
> > I work with OpenStack.  It manages images in Glance which sit above its
> object storage, Swift.
> >
> > On the POC clouds, you can use LVM as a backend for Glance.
> Snapshotting is *very* slow.  30 minutes for a snap of a
> > 80GB VM that's shutdown.
>
> OK..., that surprises me. A lot.
>

> For comparison, I just made an LVM snapshot of a volume 50% larger than
> that, that's *in use*
> (and mostly not in cache, if that even makes a difference, since my
> buffer+cache shows as only 17GB *total*),
> and the whole operation took only a fraction of a second:
>
>         rozzin at zuul:~ $ time sudo lvcreate --name home_snap --size 128G
> --snapshot zuul-vg/home
>           Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
>           Logical volume "home_snap" created.
>
>         real    0m0.349s
>         user    0m0.028s
>         sys     0m0.060s
>

> How in the world does that translate to 30-minutes (*5 thousand* x time)
> for a volume only 0.63x as big?
>
> When you say "snapshotting on top of LVM", does that entail actually
> making a full copy
> after the LVM snapshot is made--or something like that?

I'm not exactly sure what OpenStack VM snapshots are doing under the
covers.  I'm sure it's not an LVM snapshot.  Openstack VMs use .qcow2
files, which are COW.  There is a copy/convert process in the Openstack
process so the image the VM uses can be resumed and you can redeploy the
snapshot as a new VM or even copy/launch it on another system.

I misspoke about LVM for Glance/Swift.  The backend for the images are on
top of a filesystem in the POC clouds.  LVM is used for Cinder, the block
image store.  Ceph is often used to drop in replace LVM for Cinder and
files for Swift objects.