truncated: Recommendations on cloning a bootable main disk Now: grub and mounting said disk

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Sun Dec 2 16:33:52 EST 2018

Hi Jerry,

I'm clearly seeing the merit of your approach by now.  Next time, I
think I'll do it that way.

Since I'm so deep into this (spent way too much time already), I'd like
to complete the process. I've learned about gparted (how to use it
successfully) and now hopefully grub.  Found the ppa for grub-customizer
and installed it.

I see that grub was set up to have 0 seconds delay, so that it was not
possible to intervene.  So it seems that the menu should both be made
visible and the timeout set to 10 or more seconds, at least for now.
Does that make sense?

Grub customizer seems to be referring to the active disk (which is not
the one I want to change).  How do I get it to refer to the other disk?
I will be doing a physical disk change, and still am holding up hopes to
not screw up the known good disk.

Actually, sdc (it's actually changed, but let's keep it consistent for
the whole thread) isn't mounted, and it seems I'm having issues mounting
it correctly.

 From "man mount", I see that if the device isn't in fstab, one does
"mount /dev/sdc1 ..."  (I'm not sure what goes in ... )
However what is the dir that is referred to, on the host machine or on
sdc1?  If I want full access to sdc1, I would do

$ sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 / (really sdb1 now, as seen below)

If I do this I get:

$ lsblk --fs
NAME   FSTYPE LABEL UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1 ext4 6fb59d06-ec00-44f4-abcc-0da0f018be93 /
├─sda2
└─sda5 swap 616eaa19-299e-479b-8dcf-dfc36593f63a [SWAP]
sdb
├─sdb1 ext4 6fb59d06-ec00-44f4-abcc-0da0f018be93 / <--- this is the disk
I attempted to mount
├─sdb2
└─sdb5 swap 38689ed0-1d07-416d-bd53-8dfb22554b3f
sdc
└─sdc1 ntfs A2DA53E7DA53B5EF
sr0
sdc and sdb have swapped.

Sorry for my confusion, but this stuff isn't obvious to me.  I seem to
be missing a couple of idea that tie this all together.

I cannot see the drive show up in Files.  All I see is sda (boot disk)
and sdc (a data disk).

How do I mount this disk?  It seems like this is a necessary step, is it
not?
If I can't mount it, then how can I modify grub on it?  Or for that
matter do a new system install on it.

For now, I have not made any changes in grub commander, and I have
unmounted sdb1.

Wow, this has been messy so far, and compounded by my lack of expertise
in the area.

Bruce

Sent from the very machine I'm trying to fix...

On 12/2/18 11:50 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Grub will still point to the old one.
> The way I prefer to do it is to install a fresh os onto the new drive
> and copy /home and possibly /usr/local. But everyone has an individual
> setup. There is a grub utility, Grub Customizer. I use this when I set
> up triple boot.
>

> Sent from Galaxy S9+
>
> Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com <mailto:gaf.linux at gmail.com>>
> Boston Linux and Unix
> http://www.blu.org
> PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
> PGP Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7

Had to truncate, as the message size grew too large.