bandwidth capture question

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:42:27 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM, jsf <jfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> I am IT dir. at a small independent school in CT nowadays.  I have a
> comcast modem.  my firewall plugs into a wired port in the comcast modem.
> I have an old PC running windows 8.1.  I have installed wireshark on the
> old PC.  I have plugged the old PC's network interface into another wired
> port on the comcast modem.  Ideally I would like to use wireshark to
> capture EVERYTHING going across the modem - basically everything that is
> going in and out of the connection between the modem and my firewall.  I am
> at a loss w/r/t how to set this up properly.

  That'd be doing it wrong, and you'd be looking at a giant list of
spaghetti.

> I am trying to get a sense regarding the schools' bandwidth usage.. we
> have 150/25 over coax.  i think performance is pretty good most of the time
> (we are a small school).. but not everyone agrees with me.  If we have too
> little bandwidth (are hitting a max periodically) I'd like to know that.
>
> Thanks in advance for help with this and recommendations about anything
> else I should put on this old PC to help with this exercise.

  It's best to be looked at from the firewalls perspective.  What are you
using for a firewall?  Is it up to the task to NAT the number of sessions
it is likely having to NAT?  The first place I would look would be the
firewall itself.  Many times, a cheap/underpowered firewall is the cause of
crappy speeds, and not the network itself.

  Thomas