systemd and search domains.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Jan 8 14:37:26 EST 2020

Hey, all.  When I fire up my VPN, it re-writes my /etc/resolv.conf.
Shocker.  But I *want* it to, because then all my DNS stuff is good for
my company.  But it's NOT good for my personal domain.  I'd like to have
that added to the search domains.  I'm in Ubuntu; not sure if that
matters.  From my reading:
* I can the search domains on a per-interface manner, but that seems
hokey, and subject to issues if I use something (e.g., Bluetooth) to be
my conduit to the 'Net.
* /etc/resolv.conf shouldn't be manually modified as it'll just get
overwritten (and I don't want to make it immutable because I want it to
change depending on whether I'm using VPN or no)
* /etc/dhclient/dhclient.conf (apparently) doesn't matter any more if
you're running NetworkManager

So, my question: is there an elegant, global way to set/append to my DNS
domain search list?  Or am I just gonna wind up writing a daemon to wham
an resolv.conf in-place depending on the current network config?

Thanks,

-Ken