systemd and search domains.

Dennis Straffin dennis at straffin.net
Wed Jan 8 16:22:14 EST 2020

Newer Ubuntu systems use systemd-resolved which doesn't seem to support
split-horizon dns (at least last time I looked).

One solution is to go back to using dnsmasq.

* Install dnsmasq:

apt get install dnsmasq

* Update /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

[main]

dns=dnsmasq

* Add a dnsmasq config file to /etc/NetworkManager/|dnsmasq.d/foo.conf
with your servers:|
|||server=/foo.bar/bar.baz/1.2.3.4

* Restart network manager:

|||sudo service network-manager restart|||

* You might have to stop and disable the dnsmasq and resolved units:||

sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved dnsmasq
sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved dnsmasq

* You might also have to link /etc/resolv.conf to the network manager
generated one||:

sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.orig
sudo ln -s /run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

-Dennis