Question about ssh key generation

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Tue Feb 16 16:09:00 EST 2021

My understanding (your mileage may vary).
* dsa used to be a goto, but is now considered bad/insecure
* rsa is still the default in many ssh configs, but is starting to also be
considered not secure
* ed25519 is considered pretty secure, but the impression I've been given
is that it is new-ish enough that not all distro's sshes may have it
available
* ecdsa is supposed to be pretty ubiquitous now and is a good comprise
between better secure keys and wide-availability in installed openssh
systems.

This is just my impression from seeing various blog posts, tweets and
podcast discussions, so others may have better answers/guidance.

-Shawn