Help me fix this annoying RPI4 Buster printing problem

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Fri Jan 8 16:00:05 EST 2021

At the moment I'm on an RPi4 running Raspberry Pi OS.  My laptop died
recently.  I'm trying to figure out this OS works.  Have to say, it's
been painful in many ways.  One is that the RPI is slow...  It will be a
little while before I get a replacement laptop, so I have to deal with this.

Although I have configured a network printer (running on CUPS server on
an RPi2) some apps on my RPI4, like, GIMP, gpaint, and LibreOffice seem
to retain former and incorrect printers.

My GoogleFu seems to be terrible.  Can't seem to find a way to purge
these old settings from showing up.  There has to be a way to do this!

I've found this experience to be pretty darned exasperating.  I find
lots of apps, including gpaint, don't just work on RPI4 Buster.  Doing a
print, or a print preview from gpaint should NOT cause the app to fail
and terminate.  Especially if the network printer actually is configured
correctly.  I can print a test page just fine.

Where are system wide print settings managed?  File names and
directories?  Does gpaint have a shadow set of printer settings? Where
are they stored?