Kind of puzzled about timestamps

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Mon Mar 8 16:08:40 EST 2021

On 3/8/21 2:16 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I love this discussion. I've been involved with computer time since the early 1970s. While at burger King I wrote a standardized set of time utilities in cobol. Later at Digital I was responsible for the utmp libraries, and the standard test failed. The issue was that the
> standard test used a future time beyond 2035. Back then tine_t was a signed 32 bit integer

I bought a house with a 30-year mortgage in late 2008. My first house, actually.

All of the things that people talk about being afraid of with being a new home-buyer...,
well..., none of them compared to the sense of dread that I felt when I looked at
the end-date on the mortgage and asked myself:

	What's the likelihood that this date is going to pass through a computer
	where time_t is not wider than 32 bits before then?

So I pay a little extra each month.
Hopefully I can have the account closed and expunged before that point ;p

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network: <https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>
Not on the network? Ask me for an invitation to a social hub!