Have suggestions for a "roll your own file server"?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Mar 10 14:04:29 EST 2021

And make sure you get alerts when something fails.

There are a number of commercial NAS like Synology out there if you don't
want to build it yourself.

I'd also add some kind of offsite storage.  If you have decent internet
speed, cloud storage is a good choice.

Something with error correction is also good.

What I do:
I have the OS on its own disk.  I've done RAID in the past, but I'm ok with
rebuilding the OS.  A failed drive == forced upgrade.  For home, I'm ok
with this for heat/electricity costs.

For data, I've been using ZFS on Solaris -> OpenSolaris -> Ubuntu,  I think
15+ years.  I'm very happy with it.
I've used as low as 1GB, but more is better.  Dual core with 4GB is enough
for a home system IMO
If you've ever used a NetApp, it is similar.
It has snapshots that can persist forever.  My system takes one every hour,
day, week, month and keeps them for some multiple of that time.
You can divide the pool into "partitions" with changing size limits
(quota).
RAID is part of the FS.  mirrors, stripes and a raid5 like raidz.  Also
variants that can survive the failure of 2 drives ( raidz2 ~ raid6 and
triple mirrors)
Error detection.  If there is an error, the FS stops writing to prevent
more.  It's a bad idea to run ZFS on single drives.
If you have RAID, the FS has another copy to reference and can self heal
the error.
It has compression built in with negligible performance hit.
It has dedup.  Don't use it IMO.  Maybe if you have infinite RAM.

You can't expand the pool by adding disks.  So a 3 disk RAIDZ can't be
expanded by adding a 4th.
You can replace/rebuild disks with larger disks to increase the pool size.
It works well.

I create mirrors.  When I need more space, I add another mirror with newer
drives.
Fewer spinning drives means less electricity used if that's a big issue.

The family uses samba, NFS or the web server to get to data.  SFTP also
works.  They don't have to care about the disks underneath unless they fill
up the share.  Then it's a quick quota change and ask them to pare down how
many copies of that CD they really need.

In the past I used Crashplan for offsite.  They no longer offer the
unlimited systems for personal use, but I think a single system with
unlimited space is available.

Snapshots cover: Oops!  I deleted it by accident, can I get it back?  Well,
except for deleting a "partition" or pool.
Off site covers:  Oops! The house burned down, where are the family photos.