Kind of puzzled about timestamps

Ray Cote rgacote at appropriatesolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 16:28:07 EST 2021

No conversation about time is complete without a nod to 'Calendrical
Calculations' by Reingold and Dershowitz:
https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/computer-science/computing-general-interest/calendrical-calculations-ultimate-edition-4th-edition?format=HB&isbn=9781107057623

I have three editions of this on my shelf. Everytime I think I have a hard
problem to solve I peruse a chapter and then realize my problems aren't as
difficult as time...
--Ray

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:51 PM Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually in was the Germans in 1916 that implemented it first. Almost
> every other country adopted it shortly after, and we adopted it in 1918.
>
> IMHO: it made sense back then when the world was not universally
> electrified. It does not make sense in the 21st century.
>
> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
> Boston Linux and Unix http://www.blu.org
> PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
> PGP Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6
> B B6E7
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 12:41 PM Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 2:59 PM Curt Howland <Howland at priss.com> wrote:

>>> On Monday 08 March 2021, Joshua Judson Rosen was heard to say:

>>> Yes. That is given as a reason to change the clocks. Back during the
>>> wave of "energy saving measures" in the early 1970s, staying on DST
>>> through the year was objected to because, and I quote, "Children were
>>> waiting for the bus in the dark."
>>>

>> And when they moved the dates by 3 weeks in 2007, they found that the
>> energy changes depended on your climate.  A study in California found a
>> 0.2% decrease in electricity.  A 2008 study in Indiana had a 1% increase in
>> consumption.
>>
>> Of course that 1% in Indiana translated to ~ $9 million/yr.
>>
>> FWIW, changing the clocks is not an American thing.  The UK developed BST
>> 1st.  So even the UK doesn't stay on GMT!

Raymond Cote, CTO
voice: +1.603.924.6079 email: rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com skype:
ray.cote
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/ray_cote/60min/