[gnhlug-announce] Re: Resignation

Rob Lembree lembree at metrolink.com
Fri Dec 6 14:24:22 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 11:46, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> Hi! I had intended on announcing this at tonight's meeting, but since there's no
> meeting, and I don't want to impede progress, I'm doing it via email.
>
> I wanted to let people know that I'm handing in my resignation as co-chairman of
> GNHLUG. Effective today. My work commitments are preventing me from doing an
> effective job as a chairman.
>
> I would like you to continue supporting Paul Lussier as the co-chairman, and to
> give your support to my replacement: Rob Lembree. Rob has been an ardent GNHLUG
> supporter since the very early days and promises to bring focused and effective
> leadership to the group.

Hi everyone,

	I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I send a hearty
thank-you to Bruce for his service to the LUG as a co-chair.  I also
want to thank Bruce for his recommendation of me to replace him.

	Since we have an informal "membership", it goes without saying
that we have no formal election process for this sort of thing, often
resulting in someone getting suckered into the role of chair, and
indeed, this has resulted in the title of "reluctant chair".  ;-)
So, unless anyone has objections or concerns, I'm happy to take on
this role.  I hope that I can be of service.

	This isn't the first time I've been asked to do this, but it
is the first time that I've agreed.  At other times, I didn't know what
I'd do as a leader (or co-leader, as the case may be).  Over the last
several months however, I've found myself thinking that LUGs are the
heart of Linux.  It's not the code so much as it's the people and the
ideals that they share.  That being the case, I've decided that it's
not up to companies to move Linux into schools, governments,
businesses and homes, as much as it's up to us, the LUGs.

	So what does this mean LUGs should be doing?  The two words that
leap to mind for me are "education" and "advocacy".  We're doing a lot
of this now, but I think that we can make what we're already doing reach
more people, especially outside the group!  Also, with a little
planning, I think that we can do more to convince people that open
source works.

	I spoke to Paul Lussier, the other co-chair, and we have a plan
for world domination.  We'll be getting together this weekend to
organize our thoughts so that we can present something cohesive to the
membership.  After that, I'd like to plan sort of an organizational
meeting that's open to anyone wanting to play a role in moving the LUG
forward, probably in about two weeks or so.  This would be sort of a
"beer and brainstorming" session.

More later.

thanks,