Doug McIlroy Talk downloads now available

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Jan 10 17:54:00 EST 2006

Sorry for the long delay folks - I finally got the audio/video
downloads all set from Doug McIlroy's talk "Ancestry of Linux - How the
Fun Began" at the last Quarterly Meeting in November for those who
couldn't make it or would like to review:

   http://dlslug.org/past_meetings.html

I'm hosting the slides and audio - the video links out to the Internet
Archive.  These guys are great - have a listen to the founder's
interview on NerdTV if you get a chance.  (If you ever get tempted to
put something there avoid the CCPublisher tool at all costs, it's
broken.  Do check out the lftp FTP client on linux, which they
recommend - better than ncftp used to be.)

The audio file is .mp3 - the video file is aac/h.264.  It's even sized
appropriately for you dogs with Video iPod.  VLC can play it:

   http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/

The source material was pretty bad so the quality is somewhat
sub-Hollywood after post-processing.  After much filtering it's at
least viewable and audible.

I've posted DVD's to the GNHLUG chapter coordinators and a copy is
available for loan from the DLSLUG Library if you'd rather watch it on
TV.  That's full NTSC-quality.

Enjoy!

-Bill
-----