[GNHLUG] Patent Absurdity: CentraLUG, July 5th

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Thu Jun 24 20:32:40 EDT 2010

Q: What do these companies have in common?

The Green Bay Packers, Boca Raton Resort & Club, Burlington Coat
Factory, Caterpillar, Continental Airlines, Ford Motor, J Crew, Kraft
Foods, OfficeMax, Sears, Tire Kingdom, Walgreen, Wal-mart.

A: All of them have been sued for infringing a software patent.

The first Monday of the month is the regular date for the CentraLUG
meeting. Since it'll be the day after Independence Day, we'll avoid
inviting a speaker due to likely light attendance. We'll be airing the
documentary, "Patent Absurdity, " funded by FSF [1], copyright by Luca
Lucarini and licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
3.0 license <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>[2], and
available from at http://patentabsurdity.com/ Hear from: Mark Webbink,
Jesse Vincent, Richard M. Stallman, Karen Sander, Dan Ravischer, Ciarán
O'Riordan, Joe Mullin, Eben Moglen, Timothy B. Lee, Ben Klemens, Mishi
Choudhary, Peter Brown, Dan Bricklin, and James Bessen.

We'll be meeting at the Hopkinton Town Library,
http://www.hopkintontownlibrary.org, which boasts a kitchenette, so
movie popcorn's fine, just bring enough for everyone.

[1] http://patentabsurdity.com/about.html
[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

--
Ted Roche