Gnome root window...

Ken Ambrose kena at well.com
Fri Aug 9 13:54:15 EDT 2002

Hey, folks: I wanna change my "wallpaper" from inside a script.  Back in
the olde days, I'd just fire up xv, and use the -root parameter.  However,
now with Gnome, I apparently also need Gnome to know that the root window
has changed.  The program ee has what seems would do the trick -- the
"--root" parameter ("Set root window image and leave").  Only one problem:
it doesn't set the root window image, and it doesn't leave.  I can get one
step closer with "background-properties-caplet --background-image=foo.jpg".
This does manage to set the root window, but, again, fails to leave.

Does anyone know either:

a) a utility to do what I want to do, or
b) failing that, where I should look to write the code?  Preferably in
   Perl (I know there are Perl hooks in Gnome).

Thanks!

-Ken