Rack Mount Servers

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Aug 12 11:08:28 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:03:13 EDT
Ben Boulanger said:

>What happened when the machine was powered off?  Could you still talk to
>the hardware and make it power itself back on?  We ended up going with a
>Western Telematics Network Power Switch - which work fine, assuming you
>can get the bios on the box to 'always turn on after AC reset'.  Just
>wondering how you solved that problem.

We had an APC power switch which you could telnet too and toggle
power on any of the power ports.  All the servers were set up to
power on when the AC came back.

Of course, this was all theorized to work, since we never actually
got the power switch into production, and we folded before any one
had a chance to play with it extensively.  We also had a bunch of the
WTI power switches laying around that could have been used (they were
a central part of our cluster offerings :)

The terminal server was in production and did work though.
--

Seeya,
Paul