Are American high tech workers obsolete?

jkinz at rcn.com jkinz at rcn.com
Tue Aug 13 11:33:21 EDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:17:02AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> When the economy was in good shape, H1-B was used to fill in for positions
> that were not being filled. Very similar to the need to migrant workers in
> the Southwest. When the economy went sour, companies found that the foreign
> workers (mostly from India) were cheaper.
> Much of the displacement has been in system administration.

Hi Jerry, Did you mean that H1-B persons were displacing Sysadmins or
that Sysadmin positions were being moved offshore ?

I'm asking because what I have seen is that Sysadmin postions are staying
here in the States (in reduced numbers of course), and software development,
software maintenance, customer support functions are being moved offshore.

--
Jeff Kinz, Director, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "jkinz at ultranet.com"
copyright 1995-2002.  Use restricted to non-UCE uses. Any other use is an

    //\         eLviintuaxbilse            /\\