Newbie needs help...

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Aug 14 12:50:19 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:34:03 EDT
"Brenda A. Bell" said:

>The really sad thing is that when I first installed Linux several years
>ago, I was using that server for some basic network stuff (SMB, caching
>DNS) and Java development and managed to get all my answers from the
>HowTo's when I got stuck...

For the most part, I still consider the HOWTOs an invaluable source
of information.  Obviously, as with everything, the quality of the
HOWTOs varies drastically, but overall, they are very, very helpful
things and should answer most basic issues such as:

	- getting the sw
	- configuring the sw
	- basic usage of the sw

Where they fall short is in one of 2 places:

	- horribly written and/or poorly organized
	- your requirements falls well outside of the author's
	  experience.

Regardless, http://www.linuxdoc.org is still a very useful place, and
I have a quick link to on my browser :)

Btw, if you're not using a Mozilla-based browser such as Galeon, you
should consider making the switch.  There's a "quick search" task bar
which you can configure to enter a search into your browser which
then forwards the request of to a given site.  I have a quick search
link set up for:

	Google
	Google Groups
	Google Images
	Merriam-Webster Dictionay
	Freshmeat
	RPMfind.net
	packages.debian.org
	bugs.debian.org
	IMDB

Each one has a search bar which you can enter your query directly.
This streamlines what was formerly a two step process into one.
Enter your query and hit return.  The page then loaded into your
browser window is the result of the search.

> Made me feel like I was the only person out there who still needed help :)

Well, that most definitely is *not* the case :)  Though you may have
been one of the many who didn't know where to find it, you've finally
arrived at the right place :)
--

Seeya,
Paul