moving linux partitions

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Aug 15 13:53:15 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, at 10:57am, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> I've used parted ...

  Use caution when using GNU parted on systems which must interoperate with
non-Linux OSes, such as MS-Windows.  GNU parted sometimes creates invalid
partition tables which work on Linux but other OSes choke on.

> That just seems b0rken; if you're careful to start the copy operation at
> the correct end of the data, where's the harm?

  The only explanation I can think of is, perhaps parted is designed such
that it does not write changes to the partition table until the entire
operation is complete, thereby making the operation safe in the event of a
crash or other interruption?  I agree that it doesn't make much sense, but
that's the only thing I can think of.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>