uname output ?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Aug 19 10:56:32 EDT 2002

In a message dated: 19 Aug 2002 02:00:50 EDT
Paul Iadonisi said:

>  I wouldn't worry about it.  I would summarily ignore the 'uname -o'
>functionality (if it can even be called that).  Someone just pointed out
>'lsb_release -d' to me.  Using 'lsb_release -a' or 'lsb_release -as' you
>can get all the distribution specific information you'll probably ever
>need.

Outstanding!!!!  Of course, you need to install the lsb-release
package for that, but that's only an apt-get install away :)

Now we could actually make uname useful by having it call lsb_release
in configure and setting that string appropriately :)
--

Seeya,
Paul