Cable modems

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Aug 26 20:21:13 EDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, at 8:15am, ftr at almeric.com wrote:
> I was wondering what are the latest features I should look for and what
> brands/models other people are using successfully, or more importantly
> unsucessfully to connect to attbi.

  DOCSIS (Data Over Cable System Interface Specification, I think) is the
key buzzword you want to look for.

> Right now I have a SMC Barricade firewall behind the cable modem.  It
> looks like they now have a device that is cable modem + firewall ...

  My preference is to avoid "all-in-one" devices.  Case in point: You.
Your old cable modem has died, so now you are looking at a new cable modem,
but you can keep your existing firewall/router.  If you switch to DSL,
fixed-wireless, or carrier pigeon, you can still use the same firewall.
Modular building blocks are more generally useful than monolith devices.

  (IMO, YMMV, AFAIK, IANAL, EOE, etc, etc.)

> I would also be interested in going wireless.

  Wireless LAN or wireless Internet access?

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>