Ethernet question

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Aug 27 11:22:37 EDT 2002

pll at lanminds.com said:

>Hi all,
>
>In mucking around with the mii-tools from Donald Becker, I noticed in
>the man page that you can set a fixed speed for your card.  The
>choices given are:
>
>	100baseT4
>	100baseTx
>	100baseTx-FD
>	100baseTx-HD
>	10baseT
>        10baseT-FD
>	10baseT-HD
>
>What is 100baseT4?  And why would you set a speed of 100baseTx-HD.

HP had a fast ethernet standard that didn't catch on.  It used 4 pairs
over cat-3 (or higher).  I think it also had some QOS stuff in it.
Everyone else got on the other standard.  Probably because of licensing
fees.  From what I understand, the T4 standard had some technical
advantages.  Running on Cat-3 could've saved the end users some $$$ too.

It's nice to be able to set the duplex/speed.  Some hubs/cards don't do
autonegotiation very well.  UB Networks' cards for the chassis based
stuff was awful.  Yes, I worked there & managed the network.  Yes we
used our own stuff.  It was engineering prototypes & returned refurbs in
our network.  Fun to support.

--
-------
Tom Buskey