NFS Question

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Aug 30 10:14:27 EDT 2002

In a message dated: 29 Aug 2002 19:46:57 EDT
"Kenneth E. Lussier" said:

>Actually, the plan is to install an extremely large EDA/PCB design
>system on a central server and allow clients to run the design tools
>from clients. That way, the software doesn't need to be installed on
>every single client.

This is exactly what NFS was intended for! You should have no problem
doing this.  Though you might want to export the fs read-only so
various clients don't stomp all over the install :)

I would also export rw to a "management" system which is configured
similarly to the clients, but used for things like installations,
etc. so you can test things from a client perspective.

Btw, the exported file system should be mounted on /usr/local,
since /usr/local is "local" to the environment ;)

<as I duck before Derek throws something at me :)
--

Seeya,
Paul