shift() in C std lib

Price, Erik eprice at ptc.com
Wed Dec 11 13:33:50 EST 2002

I'm wondering if there's a shift() function (similar to the one in Perl/
PHP/etc) in the C standard library?  (I have access to the C std lib
that comes with Gentoo linux, if that matters any.)

That would accept an array pointer and a char as an argument and allow
me to put that char at the beginning of the array?

If not I can write this but I wanted to try accessing the standard library.
(It's for a homework assignment.)

Is there a utility other than grep for finding useful functions in the
C std library?

Thanks,

Erik