Photo printers?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Dec 11 16:53:03 EST 2002

Okay, I seem to have narrowed my search for a printer down to 2:

	hp photosmart 7150
	EPSON Stylus Photo 1280 - C393011

Now, the problem I'm having is making a decision.  This should
probably be a no brainer, but, I'm a *very* skeptical shopper, and
paranoid!

The HP is cheap, at $149 (list), whereas the Epson is expensive, at
$499 (list).  They both fit all my qualifications:

	- supported under Linux (both are reported to work "perfectly"
	  at LinuxPrinting.org)
	- decent quality
	- print at least an 8x10 image (both portait/landscape)
	- handle color as well as b/w.
	- print on both normal paper as well as that
	  photo-quality glossy stuff
	- be a reasonable price ($500?)

However, it appears that the HP printer is really the best deal.
It's resolution is much higher (4800x1200 vs. Epson's 2880x720).  The
HP can also handle a Duplexor, which I don't believe the Epson can
(not stated either way).

The main thing I see going for the Epson is:

	- I'm not locked into really expensive HP cartridges
	- It claims:

		6-color (CcMmYK) Micro Piezo ink jet technology,
		borderless printing 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10,
		11 x 14, 13 x 19, and letter support

	  whereas the HP only claims 4x6 and letter, but nothing about
	  borderless.

	- It's fast:
		4" x 6" Photo:	  54 secs.
		8" x 10" Photo:   1 min. 50 secs.
		Black text memo:  9 ppm

	  The HP claims only 10ppm, nothing about photo speed.

Even if I jump up to the HP 7359, it's only a $199(list), and you get
a 17ppm printer with more memory.(hmmm, I wonder if I can get a 7150
and up the memory for less than the $199????)

Any opionions?

Thanks
--

Seeya,