Performance monitoring?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Dec 20 08:53:31 EST 2002

Hi,

Does anyone know of any utilities which can dig into disk drive
performance?  I'm looking to discover the "disk busy" time, i.e.,
what percentage of time is the disk off doing something, such that
requests to the disk are blocked.

I've looked at: sar and iostat, but they don't provide this metric.
All I've found so far is number of read or write requests made per
second, and ([k]bytes|blocks) per second read or written, and
transfers per second issued to the device.

Unfortunately, there's not much to connect these metrics.  read/write
requests and transfers per second only tell me that a transaction was
requested, but not the size of that transaction.  There's also
nothing which tells how many transactions were capable per second
compared to those which succeeded.

The [k]bytes or blocks per second read or written metric suffers from
the same problem in that I can't correlate them to anything which was
actually requested. So, I have one set of metrics telling me that
something was requested, but not the size of the request, and another
metric telling me how much data was transferred, but nothing telling
me how much was requested.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--