Performance monitoring?

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Fri Dec 20 09:30:15 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 08:53, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> The [k]bytes or blocks per second read or written metric suffers from
> the same problem in that I can't correlate them to anything which was
> actually requested. So, I have one set of metrics telling me that
> something was requested, but not the size of the request, and another
> metric telling me how much data was transferred, but nothing telling
> me how much was requested.

Well, there's the DISK-IO MIB in SNMP..  on my box it's
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/UCD-DISKIO-MIB.txt

Have you considered using SNMP already?

Using that with MRTG and maybe some outside tools (you could write a
script that returns a number for MRTG to graph) you may be able to
accomplish a fair amount of what you're going for.

Ben