Performance monitoring?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Dec 20 10:07:21 EST 2002

In a message dated: 20 Dec 2002 09:30:15 EST
Ben Boulanger said:

>Have you considered using SNMP already?

Yes, but I don't believe it provides me with anything I don't already have.

>Using that with MRTG and maybe some outside tools (you could write a
>script that returns a number for MRTG to graph) you may be able to
>accomplish a fair amount of what you're going for.

I believe that the SNMP DiskIO MIB polls the information from iostat,
and hence, would be nothing more than a middle-man for information I
already have direct access to.

In addition, to use SNMP, I'd have to install apache, the mibs, the
snmp tools, gnuplot, and who knows what else.  Unfortunately, with
all this crap, I begin to affect the very performance I'm trying to
measure :(

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong and told that SNMP has some
magical powers or otherwise 'all-access pass' into Disk IO
metrics that iostat is incapable of providing, and therefore, it's
worth going around and installing all this stuff on the 64+ nodes to
get this information :)
--

Seeya,
Paul