Book on samba

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Nov 5 10:39:03 EST 2002

In a message dated: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:32:11 PST
Ken Ambrose said:

>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Mark Glassberg wrote:
>> I need to recommend an entry level book on samba.  Any suggestions,
>> positive or negative, would be appreciated.
>
>Well, the O'Reilly book, _Using Samba_, is decent, but one (big) complaint
>I have with the Samba books is that virtually none of them discuss
>(leastwise, on their cover) which Samba version they're written for
>(_Using Samba_ is 2.0.x, unless there's an update of which I'm unaware).
>The reason I care so much is that 2.2.x has PDC support, which is a big
>help if you're trying to run a domain-based non-MS server shop.

Keep in mind that the O'Reilly book is the "Official" samba book,
written by the Samba team.  It's also an "Open" book, which *comes*
with Samba.

The O'Reilly published version is probably out of date, however, the
version shipping with Samba has probably kept up with the source.

Hmmm, now that I look at the source, it appears that "the book" is no
longer in there.  However, you can get the O'Reilly book here:

	http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/indexpdf.html

and download it in PDF format if you care to.

However, the Samba source does have a tremendous amount of documentation which
comes with the source, and a Makefile which allows you to build ps,
pdf, text, and html versions of everything.  There's also an
extensive "HOWTO" collection in the docs/ subdir of the Samba source.

So, before you run off and waste a lot of money on crappy books by
people who don't really know Samba, check out the stuff that comes
with it first.

Also, IMO, *anything* by Richard Sharpe should be read from cover to
cover, frontwards and backwards.  Richard is one of the Samba
developers, and has written a couple of books on Samba, and much of
the included documentation.  He's very active on the Samba
development lists, and will gladly answer questions via e-mail
(though I'm sure he's inundated with these :)

HTH,
--

Seeya,
Paul