running Linux at work with Windows apps

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 11 11:17:04 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, at 2:27pm, tom at buskey.name wrote:
> VMware works *very* well for the occasional windows app.  You need decent
> hardware and RAM behind it.

  Also check out Win4Lin from NeTraverse.  It only supports Win95/98/ME (not
NT/2000/XP), and does not provide as complete an emulation as VMware, but at
the same time, it has a significantly smaller performance penalty.
Depending on what you want to do, one may be better than the other.

> Some people have also had success with Crossover Office.  As I understand,
> it won't work with every windows app.

  Crossover Office is essentially a suped-up version of Wine, with special
support for particular applications (i.e., MS Office).  From what I hear, it
works reasonably well for what it is.  As with "regular Wine", application
compatibility is strictly hit-or-miss.  Some things work great, some things
are so-so, and some things don't work at all.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>