MS-Exchange interoperability (was: making vars in bash script...)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 11 11:50:45 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, at 10:29am, eprice at ptc.com wrote:
> I found out that they're supporting POP3 for the moment but that this is
> expected to go away.  They mentioned a protocol called MAPI will be
> introduced.

  MAPI, as noted elsewhere, is how Exchange clients talk to Exchange servers
in their "native" protocol.  If you are using an Exchange server, MAPI is
always on.  POP3 and IMAP are "additional" services that can be added.

  AFAIK, the only MAPI client for Exchange is the Microsoft-provided one,
which only works with Outlook and the old "Exchange Client" programs.

  I would lobby your admins to keep POP3 and IMAP available on the Exchange
server(s), at least on a "enabled but not supported" basis.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>