MS-Exchange interoperability (was: making vars in bash script...)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 11 12:01:22 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, at 10:58am, redwards at golgotha.net wrote:
> I've also read that the handwriting is on the wall for MAPI too -- it'll
> be disappearing and OutLook XP already uses a new proprietary mail
> protocol by default.

  AFAIK, Outlook 2002 (for some reason, it is Office XP, but the individual
applications still get years) still uses MAPI-the-protocol to communicate
with Exchange servers.  It may, perhaps, be a new version of
MAPI-the-protocol.

  Microsoft claims that the next release of Exchange Server will support
"MAPI over HTTP", but what exactly that means is anyone's guess at this
point.  They may just be tunneling DCE RPC over TCP port 80, or they be
creating something legitimately new, or who knows what.

  Microsoft's strategy with regards to Exchange, Outlook, and what
standards, pseudo-standards, and faux-standards they will be using is rather
confused at this point.  Exchange 2000 Server is rather schizophrenic when
it comes to this: On the one hand, Microsoft seems to be pushing for an SMTP
and IMAP based system (with proprietary extensions, of course); on the other
hand, they still don't support half the functionality of Outlook unless you
use MAPI.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>