Humor: The Evolution of a Programmer

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Nov 13 12:36:42 EST 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:21:02 EST
"Price, Erik" said:

>The two things I like best about Python are its ease of use in OO
>design and implementation (this is one place where I wouldn't go
>near Perl) and its interactive interpreter.  It is just as you say,
>a great way to shave time off development, since you can literally
>interact with your program in realtime.

While I agree that Perl's OO features were an afterthought and
therefore, probably not as clean as they [c,sh]ould be, it does have
a fantastic debugger which sounds the same as Python's interactive
interpreter.  I don't know much about Python, but I assume the
'interactive' feature allows you to set break points, watch variables
and arrays, etc.?

The thing I really like about perl is it's ease of use on the command
line.  I can easily do things like:

	perl -de 'print;'

and then have the entire feature set of the interpreter at my
disposal.  I often use this to test code snippets I'm not completely
sure about before attempting to debug a larger program.

A great feature, as you said, for cutting down on prototyping and
development time!

>I really like it, I just wish there was a truly portable graphics
>library (as in, "installed by default on all systems").  I have
>been meaning to try out Jython, for that matter....

This is one of the things that's nice about perl, there are
interfaces to Tk, gtk, etc. that have all been ported.
I haven't used them, but I know they exist.
--

Seeya,
Paul