"Freedom Downtime" [was: Kevin Mitnick speaking at MarlboroSoftpro tonight... (fwd)]

Scott Prive Scott.Prive at storigen.com
Wed Nov 13 18:52:05 EST 2002

How would this be ironic? If they applied CSS to the DVD, I could see the irony... but there's no law or contract that says all DVD's must have CSS scrambling.

One of the Linux DVD websites even lists commercial DVD's that don't have region or content restrictions. I have some anime and music DVD's which have no CSS restrictions. Without CSS, DVD's no "less freedom" than VHS, DV, or VCD...

> I'm waiting for Freedom Downtime to pop up in mpeg or video
> cd format on
> a p2p network or newsgroup (the copyright on the move allows for
> unrestricted redistribution).

As much as I applaud this, it's probably the #1 reason we'll never see it on DVD (or if we do, it'll be a bad transfer.. like on expired copyright movies such as Metropolis).