prolonging the emacs discussion

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Wed Nov 20 12:00:28 EST 2002

[Doh! Being to used to using lists that automagically set Reply-to:, I
forgot to include the list on this message. I'm sorry Jerry, you're
getting two copies. Yes, yes, I know all about reply-to considered harmful.]

The following two lines in my .emacs file turn off the creation of the
automatic backup files (those with # before and after the name) and the
regular backup files (those whose names end with ~).

(setq auto-save-interval 0)
(setq make-backup-files nil)

Note that changes made to a .emacs file only take effect under two
conditions: 1) you quit and restart emacs or 2) you type M-x
eval-current-buffer. Where 'M' is the Meta key, 'ESC' or 'ALT' on most
PC systems with Linux.