prolonging the emacs discussion

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Nov 20 12:17:11 EST 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:00:28 EST
Jason Stephenson said:

>The following two lines in my .emacs file turn off the creation of the
>automatic backup files (those with # before and after the name) and the
>regular backup files (those whose names end with ~).
>
>(setq auto-save-interval 0)
>(setq make-backup-files nil)

Hmmm, I think I interpreted the OP's request differently, possibly
incorrectly.  It seems there might be more than one cat to skin here.

I have	(setq version-control t) in my .emacs file, which turns on
basic version control above and beyond what I think the
make-backup-files variable controls.

I end up with multiple versions of a file of the form:

	filename.~<number>~ e.g. foo.~1~, foo.~2~, ...

I was interpreting the OP from the perspective that he had a similar
setup, and wished to collect all these files in one directory.
I was unaware of the make-backup-files variable, which seems to
simply create a single backup file when the original is edited.

Can the OP (Erik?) clarify exactly the current state you're in?  Are
you currently using make-backup-files or version-control?
(or do you have no idea :)
--

Seeya,
Paul