PDF vs. .doc [was Re: Boston Linux Conference December 3-4 ]

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Nov 25 08:32:20 EST 2002

In a message dated: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 00:29:50 EST
Erik Price said:

>On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 06:09  PM, Travis Roy wrote:
>
>> I don't see PDF being much better since windows users
>> will still have to go get something like Adobe Acrobat. On a Mac
>> however
>> PDF rocks since it's built in.
>
>Yes, this is how I was able to generate the PDF without purchasing
>Distiller for a few hundred bucks...

You can do this easily enough on UNIX with ghostscript package which
included wrappers for ps2pdf, pdf2ps, etc..  Or, if you
use TeX for your base formatting language (LaTeX, LyX, etc.) you can
easily convert from [La]TeX to ps/pdf.

So, with UNIX, you still don't need to by the distiller :)
--

Seeya,
Paul