Boston Linux Conference December 3-4

Paul Iadonisi pri.nhlug at iadonisi.to
Tue Nov 26 09:45:08 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 03:13, Derek Martin wrote:

> At some point hitherto, bscott at ntisys.com hath spake thusly:
> > On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, at 9:27am, hewitt_tech at attbi.com wrote:
> > > I completely concur with this sentiment but I would point out that we live
> > > in an era when appearances are more important than substance to many
> > > people (present company excepted).
> >
> > True.  Next question: Do I want to work for one of them?  :-)
>
> Good question.  Can you pay the rent this month?

  I'll try not to be too knee-jerk here, but my general reaction would
be (if I couldn't pay the rent) is: "Gee, you're right, I can't pay the
rent.  I think I need to go sell some illicit drugs."  Different people
have different levels of pain and different levels of resourcefulness.
For me, and I'm sure some others on this list, being short of cash, even
in a desperate sense, isn't a reason to give up on certain principles.
  For some, the prospect of reciting several times a day, 'would you
like fries with that, sir?' isn't as bad as being forced to either 1) be
an M$ customer, 2) use proprietary software without paying for it, thus
illegally, or 3) outsource the authoring of our resumes.
  In case you are wondering if that is the case with me (regarding the
importance of my principles), the answer is a resounding "YES!"
  Oh, and I'm not trying to get into a pissing match about families,
past decisions, lifestyles, etc.  But I will say that I've done my best
to structure my life so that I live WELL below my means so that I can
survive crappy situations like the current economy.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator