kernel building question

Rob Lembree lembree at metrolink.com
Tue Nov 26 14:30:54 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 09:37, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my quest for total revision control of everything I do with my
> environment, I commited the entire 2.4.19 kernel tree to my
> repository.  During that process, I realized there are several
> sub-hierarchies under the arch/ directory I'll almost certainly never
> compile a kernel for such as everything other than i386.
>
> My question.  Can I just 'rm -rf' the sub-dirs I don't need so that
> the only sub-dir of arch is 'i286' and still compile a useful kernel?

I assume that you mean 'i386'.

Sure, you can do that.  You can also blow away a lot of
other architectures' support in include/, such as asm-mips
and so on.

Be careful with binaries -- you need to use -kb if you submit
binary data to CVS.

> Thanks,
>
> Btw:	useful command tidbit, try:
> 		ls -m

Cool.  Yet another thing that's great on Linux, but don't
expect it any place else!!  The more I use Linux, the more
that commercial *nix's look like antiques.

--

Rob Lembree                        Metro Link Incorporated
29 Milk St.			     lembree at metrolink.com
Nashua, NH 03064-1651             http://www.metrolink.com
Phone:  954.660.2460               Alternate: 603.577.9714
PGP: 1F EE F8 58 30 F1 B1 20       C5 4F 12 21 AD 0D 6B 29