cheap video card desired

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Mon Oct 21 19:52:50 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've had the good fortune of being able to run Linux on a separate hard
disk at my new job, so when I'm not busy with some task or other, I
reboot and tweak.  (It's Debian 3.0)

I'd like to do more of my development in Linux because I like to script
a lot of my workflow (and I'd like to try Mutt) and I'm a bash addict.
In fact, I never had a Windows box in my house, so the DOS prompt feels
particularly inflexible after having bash in my MacOSX box for the past
year (and on my school's servers before that).

However, quite a bit of the work I do requires a web browser, and I've
been using NetBeans for Java.  If I had access to a GUI from my Linux
box, I'd be able to switch over full-time (for the most part).  But my
video card is unsupported.  It's a RealiZm Intense3D card, I guess
(judging from the Windows Device Manager).  I've tried dozens of
settings in `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86`, but no avail.  It's not
supported.  So I need to get a supported video card.  Does anyone know
of a good resource for investigating this?  I certainly don't need a
hot gaming card, just something equivalent to what I've got (it's
32(24)-bit, does 1152 x 864 at 19 inches) would be great.  Since I'm a
bonehead when it comes to PC hardware -- a casualty of growing up in a
house of Apples -- can anyone provide a recommendation?  And if you
know of a store that sells them used, cheap, that'd be helpful too.

Thanks,

Erik

PS:  I still need to boot into Win for some of the company
applications, so I need to make sure that there is a driver for Win2k
too.

--
Erik Price                                   (zombies roam)

email: erikprice at mac.com
jabber: erikprice at jabber.org