Linux vs. Solaris file IO performance

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Oct 29 10:05:53 EST 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:15:52 EST
Mark Komarinski said:

>> Actually, FC drives are being produced in such large quantities now
>> that they're cheaper than SCSI drives in many cases.  It's the
>> controllers that'll really set you back!  SCSI controllers are cheap!
>
>Really??  Sun charges $2300 for a 36GB FC drive.

Yeah, Sun charges too much for everything.  Ever looked at what they
get for memory?

>Unless FC-AL is different from FC.

Technically speaking, there is a difference, but it doesn't really
affect the price that much.  FC-AL is Arbitrated Loop, which is just
a means of coordinating which drive on the bus can speak when.
Remember, FC is a serial protocol, so it's similar in concept to
things like Token Ring and FDDI.  You can have non-AL FC set ups.

>Which may be why their stock is in the toilet...

No, I think their stock is where it is for the same reason everyone
elses is there.  The market sucks.  That, and people are replacing
Sun systems with cheap Linux boxes :)
--

Seeya,
Paul