libcrypt.so.2

Brenda Bell k15a-list-gnhlug at mail.theotherbell.com
Fri Sep 6 16:44:35 EDT 2002

Not sure how to ask my question, so I'll explain my problem:

I'm trying to install a Linux-based groupware product for evaluation
purposes.  The INSTALL indicates that postgres7.1 is a prerequisite.  I
couldn't find an RPM for 7.1 so I'm trying to install 7.2 on Mandrake 8.2.

The postgres install notes some missing dependencies:  libcrypt.so.2,
libreadline.so.4 and libssl.so.2... I have what appears to be earlier versions
of these libraries so I went looking for a Mandrake compatible RPM and
came up empty handed.  Then I went looking for source that I could build
and didn't find that either.  Then I searched Google and came up with a
lot of very confusing information... like RedHat changed the library names
and some people have successfully linked their current libs to other names
in order to get past this problem.

Does anyone on the list have experience with this sort of problem.  Or have
I grossly misinterpreted what I've been reading...  I'd really like to know
what the right solution is.

Cheers,
   Brenda