libcrypt.so.2

Derek D. Martin ddm+gnhlug at pizzashack.org
Fri Sep 6 18:53:24 EDT 2002

At some point hitherto, Brenda Bell hath spake thusly:
> I'm trying to install a Linux-based groupware product for evaluation
> purposes.  The INSTALL indicates that postgres7.1 is a prerequisite.  I
> couldn't find an RPM for 7.1 so I'm trying to install 7.2 on Mandrake 8.2.

Be forewarned that, unless the prerequisite is pgsql 7.1 *or greater*
you may not be able to get by with 7.2...  I may be confused (as is
happening more and more frequently as the memory controller in my
brain deteriorates), but I think I've heard of applications that use
pgsql not working with more recent versions than some specified
version...

> The postgres install notes some missing dependencies:
> libcrypt.so.2, libreadline.so.4 and libssl.so.2... I have what
> appears to be earlier versions of these libraries so I went looking
> for a Mandrake compatible RPM and came up empty handed.

The libreadline one surprises me, but the other two are from OpenSSL,
which unfortunately does not surprise me at all...

> Then I went looking for source that I could build and didn't find
> that either.

Why not build postgresql from source?  This is probably the easiest
and best solution to this problem...

  ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/

> Then I searched Google and came up with a lot of very confusing
> information... like RedHat changed the library names and some people
> have successfully linked their current libs to other names in order
> to get past this problem.

Well, I'm not really sure what reasons Red Hat has for doing so, but
they've gone and mucked up their installation of openssl.  I have some
suspicions as to why, but they're only that: suspicions.  As I
understand it, the OpenSSL project has recently had a strong tendency
to release new versions that break binary compatibility with old
versions.  Problem being, they only update the subpatch level (i.e.
the latest OpenSSL is, I believe, openssl-0.9.6g, with the last being
0.9.6f, etc.).  Though, exactly why Red Hat has felt the need to go
from libcrypt.so.0 (where it really should be) to libcrypt.so.2, I
have no idea...  It probably has something to do with needing older
versions for compatibility, or something like that.  If someone has a
real and valid analysis if this issue, I'd certainly love to hear
it...

You might be able to get it to work by installing the postgresql rpm
with the --nodeps option, and then creating symlinks from your existing
library versions to the "required" ones.  In all honesty though, I
really don't recommend doing that.

> Does anyone on the list have experience with this sort of problem.
> Or have I grossly misinterpreted what I've been reading...  I'd
> really like to know what the right solution is.

I think the best solution is to download the source for Postgresql and
compile it.

- --
Derek Martin               ddm at pizzashack.org
I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!