root access without password

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Mon Sep 16 13:31:53 EDT 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> So, I recommend using SSH, and creating keys for root, and placing
> them in the root home directory on the systems which need them.

And even more to the point of security, try not to use the root account -
particularly in a place where you're talking about phraseless keys.  It
would require some further thinking - using an unprivileged account or
using chroot, but ssh as root is never a good idea.  If ID 0 logs in, I
generally want to know about it and get a page/text message somewhere off
the box.

Ben

--

A fall into a ditch makes you wiser.