Booting on RAID set failing

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Sep 18 16:11:02 EDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, at 3:03pm, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>     Warning: unable to open an initial console
>     Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

  Those two usually indicate the wrong filesystem got mounted as root (or
your filesystem is trashed).  It could not open an initial console because
/dev/console is missing, and it could not find init because /sbin/init is
missing.

  Can you boot from a CD or other external media, start the RAID sets, and
fsck the filesystems (as a sanity check)?

> Any idea what I'd need to pass as an init option to the kernel?

  The "init=" option specifies the initial program.  You can try
"init=/bin/sh", but the kernel should be doing that anyway.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>