Booting on RAID set failing

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Sep 18 16:17:23 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:11:02 EDT
bscott at ntisys.com said:

>  Those two usually indicate the wrong filesystem got mounted as root (or
>your filesystem is trashed).  It could not open an initial console because
>/dev/console is missing, and it could not find init because /sbin/init is
>missing.

Hmmm, yeah.  I think I found the problem.  When your / and /boot are
on a RAID set, lilo doesn't quite know where things are yet since the
raid stuff hasn't been started.  You need to pass disk geometry stuff
to lilo so it can figure out where things are.  It's all documented
in the Boot+Root+Raid+LILO mini-HOWTO.

I'm fiddling with it now, I'll let you know how it works :)

>  Can you boot from a CD or other external media, start the RAID sets, and
>fsck the filesystems (as a sanity check)?

No, the system has 4 IDE drives, no floppy or CDROM, hence the
attempt to build systems using FAI.

I actually have the FAI install working fairly well, so now I'm going
even further into this madness by taking your suggestion of mirroring
everything across the 4 drives :)

At some point when I have all the basic set up, I build a bunch of
systems which export all their spare drive capacity via NBD, and use
either LVM or EVMS to access them.  (Yes, I'm building my own NAS out
of spare parts :)

--

Seeya,
Paul