Exchange Replacement

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Apr 7 09:27:48 EDT 2003

On 7 Apr 2003, at 9:10am, ken.lussier at zuken.com wrote:
> I have heard a little abour SuSE's OpenExchange ...

  I've looked into OpenExchange *very* cursorily, and it appears to be
little more than an IMAP and LDAP server with some glue and management
tools.  It certainly is a far cry from MS-Exchange.

> ... what servers I would need to set up to fill all of the functions of
> Exchange?

  Frankly, I don't think there is another product on the market that fills
all the functions of Exchange.

  However, I have to ask: Do you *need* all the functions of Exchange?
Exchange is an incredibly powerful groupware platform, but if all you're
looking for is email...

  What are your requirements?

  I do have a couple of additional bookmarks for products that claim to be
"Exchange alternatives" and run on Linux.  My knowledge of them pretty much
ends at my bookmark file, so take it FWIW:

  - Samsung Contact (http://www.samsungcontact.com) (formerly HP OpenMail)
  - Bynari InsightServer (http://www.bynari.net/)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>